I could have sworn I felt my heart grow heavy with sorrow but a couple nights ago, but not for the reasons one might believe. No, it was something I saw, or rather, someone...
A little girl, who couldn't have been more then six years old, came out of the cold snow and into the halls of Mercy's Keep. I watched her as she quickly rushed up to my nearby friend in that fluffy parka she wore and those little snow dusted boots. She spoke in the Ni-Kunni tongue, which fortunately I knew well enough, as she returned the lost datapad to Esna. As cute as she was, my heart began to sink as I saw the fear in her eyes when anyone new arrived. Her words to me confirmed it even more, the poor child was victim to a cruel slave holder.
That night I ended up relinquishing the mug of hot cocoa I had retrieved for myself into her small hands, knowing well she may have never have had something so rich tasting in her life. Even later I found myself rushing off to the solarium, if but to bring back a single rose bloom for her, despite having the wrath of the rose bush inflicted upon my left palm via a single thorn. I did it all just to see the poor child smile, and look forward to doing so again, when I hand over the goodies I bought in town just for her.
Those scars on her legs, the burn marks on her arm, the markings on her neck where I am sure a collar once was ...... it saddens me, and yet stirs a fury within me like no other. Even more so now that I know the monster responsible for the cruelty is still out there, hiding within the Kingdom and going without punishment. If I had but better skills at tracking down others, I would do just that, and make him pay for what he has done to something so innocent.
But ... tracking down others ... if I was any good at it, certain people would have been found by now....
Perhaps, I might have to ask for help in this... It is just... I feel as if I am more of a damsel in distress as of late then being able to stand up on my own feet as I use to.
... God, if you can hear me, please ... help me...